J. A. Law
J. A. Law, Assessor and Collector for the Merced Irrigation District, comes from an old Merced family. He was born in this city on December 7, 1892, the son of Thomas C. and Jeanne (DuBose) Law. His parents came here from South Carolina about sixty-five years ago and his father studied law in the office of his brother, John K. Law, a pioneer attorney and later Superior Court Judge. The two brothers practiced successfully here for many years. Both have been dead for over twenty-five years.
J. A. Law went through grammar and high school in Merced and spent two years at Occidental College. Both before and after the United States entered the World War, he was employed by the Farmers and Merchants Bank in Merced. He was for seven months in France, being a member of the 62nd Field Artillery Corps. He resigned from the Farmers and Merchants National Bank in 1923. After that, he bought and improved property and for several years worked off and on as Deputy Assessor for both Merced County and Merced Irrigation District.
From 1926 until the fall of 1934 Mr. Law operated to his present position to take the place of the late William G. Grady. He filled out the latter's un-expired term, and was subsequently elected Assessor and Collector for the full four year term.
Mr. Law is a member of the Elks Lodge and the American Legion. He was formerly a member of the Merced Fire Department for eighteen years. In 1926 he married Miss Eva Hale, daughter of Dr. Mary E. Hale of Merced. Mrs. Law attended grammar and high school in Merced. After graduating from the University of Nevada, she taught in the Merced Union High School for several years. She was the first President of the Merced Branch of the American Association of University Woman.
Mr. and Mrs. Law have one son, Robert Edward.
Page: 306, 307.
History of Merced County
(Narrative & Biographical)
Author: Corwin Radcliffe
A. H. Crawston, Publisher, 1940
Contributed by: Alma Stone