M P LEWIS
Numbered among the representative business men of Los Banos, Merced County, are the Lewis Brothers, grocers of that thriving city, who by the careful attention to business and courtesy to their customers have built up a very successful enterprise, principally by anticipating the wants of their many patrons and by carrying a clean and up to date stock. The senior member of the firm, M. P. Lewis, was born in Watsonville, Cal., on September 13, 1885, and attended the public schools of Watsonville in the primary grades, supplementing this foundation by the practical experience gained while in the office of the Watsonville Pajaronian, the leading newspaper of that city. He started to learn the trade, beginning as "devil," after which he followed the trade in Kingsburg, San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria and Los Banos. While thus employed he acted as foreman of various shops and during the temporary absence of the proprietors he frequently got out the papers. For a time he had charge of the printing department on the Spreckels Californian at the Spreckels sugar factory.
In 1907 Mr. Lewis came to Los Banos and entered the office as a printer on the Los Banos Enterprise, serving on its staff for several years, later leasing the plant and becoming the editor and proprietor. The possibilities of intellectual development in publishing any country newspaper are varied, but are more than offset by the small financial returns and Mr. Lewis was induced to give up his chosen calling and enter the grocery trade by becoming a partner with M. B. Miranda by buying out J. J. Silva. Later the firm became Lewis and Miranda, and still later Lewis Brothers when Miranda sold out to W. J. and M. P. Lewis, who have since greatly enlarged their stock and expanded their trade so that their patronage now covers a wide area in this section of Merced County. They now have one of the largest, if not the largest grocery store in Los Banos.
Mr. Lewis was united in marriage with Miss Ethel King, born in Salinas, who was a teacher in the Oakland and Los Banos schools. They have one daughter, Marjorie. Mr. Lewis is a member of Merced Parlor No. 24, N. S. G. W., and of the Fraternal Order of Eagles:
History of Merced County California With a
Biographical Review OF The Leading Men and Woman of the County Who Have Been
Identified with Its Growth and Development from Early Days to the Present
Author: John Outcalt (1925)
M. P. Lewis, page 756
Contributed by: Carol Lackey