Author: John Outcalt (1925)
GEORGE A. SCHWINN
The descendant of one of the early settlers of the San Joaquin Valley and Merced County, George A. Schwinn is ably carrying on family traditions, and
doing his share toward developing the resources of this section of California. Born on the old Johnson ranch, twenty-four miles southeast of Merced, in Merced County, July 19, 1884, he is the eldest of three sons born to Adam and Mary (Carey) Schwinn. Adam, a native of Reihnbon, Germany, born February 29, 1844, was a soldier in the German troops, but took leave in 1872, and with his brother, Fritz, came to New York. They drifted about for a time, and then came west, first locating in Stockton, where they worked for wages on ranches. Adam finally entered the employ of Robert Baxter, at Old Ellis, and with them came to Merced County, in 1874, where three years later he invested in the present home place, known as the old Johnson ranch. Here he engaged in sheep and wool growing, but sold out his stock, and in 1880 entered the cereal grain growing as joint owner with his brother, George, who two years later sold out his interest to Adam and the latter continued in business until the time of his death, adding to his holdings by subsequent purchase until he owned 960 acres.
In addition to his agricultural pursuits, Adam Schwinn was one of the founders of the Rochdale Store, at Le Grand, and was one of the stockholders in
the concern. After a full life, the death of this able man occurred September 14, 1904, at the present home of his son, George A. Schwinn, survived by his
widow and two sons. Mary (Carey) Schwinn was born in Ireland, and came to New York as a girl of fifteen, in a party of five cousins. She arrived alone in
Merced, September 30, 1880, having spent some ten years in the East, and on July 24, 1883, Mary Carey and Adam Schwinn were married.
George A. Schwinn received his education in the Appling school, and from a mere lad was closely associated with his father in the running of the home
ranch, and took up full responsibilities twelve months before the latter's death, due to the confining illness of the father. With his brother, W. R. Schwinn, who was born on the ranch, May 13, 1888, and also reared and educated in the Appling District, he has been active in further developing the home property, and they have done very well indeed in the handling of the property, and perpetuating of their father's name for industry and strict integrity. They had added to the extent of the family property, and it now embraces 1430 acres, of which 880 acres is choice grain land, and the balance devoted to pasture. The ranch is well drained, and has four good wells, while out on reserve are three springs. Livestock and cereal grain are the chief sources of income, and both
brothers are members of the California Cattlemen's Association, active in its affairs and regular attendants at meetings. They are also members of the Le
Grand Farm Bureau. George A. is vice-president and director of the Le Grand Mercantile Co., successors to the Rochdale Store which their father founded and which on being reorganized took its present firm name and is owned by a group of local business men.
Fraternally, George A. Schwinn is a member of the Fraternal Aid Union; and W. R. is a charter member and Past Chief of Mariposita Lodge of Redmen, of Le Grand. Both are men of progressive ideas, with a full knowledge of the resources of Merced County, its climatic and soil conditions, and the possibilities the future holds forth for even greater development in this section of a wonderful State.
The Leading Men and Women of the County Who Have Been
Identified with Its Growth and Development
from the Early Days to the Present
ILLUSTRATED COMPLETE IN ONE VOLUME
HISTORIC RECORD COMPANY
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by:
Joy Fisher February 7, 2006, 12:02 am