Author: John Outcalt (1925)
JOHN ARCHIBALD TURNER
Among the representative men in Merced County who are ably carrying on the traditions of their pioneer fathers who laid the foundation for our present-day civilization, is John A. Turner, familiarly known as "Archie" Turner, and named in honor of Col. Archibald Stevinson. Archibald Stevinson, John Mitchell and William C. Turner, the father of our subject, were the earliest settlers and principal early landowners on the Merced River.
Archie Turner was born on January 20, 1865, and has spent his whole life in his native county, where he attended the Jefferson school in pursuit of his education. He now owns 200 acres in the Irwin Precinct and 861 acres on the San Joaquin River, all of which is devoted to stock-raising and farming. Turner
Avenue was named in honor of our subject for the part he has taken in advancing the interests of his community and county. A sketch of his father appears on another page of this history, and for him the Turner voting precinct was named.
Archie Turner was married in 1887, in Merced County, to Miss Kate Hicks, daughter of James Hicks, who served as county clerk. Of this union was born one child, a son Archie James, who is married and with his family of two sons, Clifford and William, resides on his 160-acre ranch on the San Joaquin River.
Some time after the death of his first wife, Mr. Turner married a second time, this marriage uniting him with Blanche Olive McCarty, who was born in California, the daughter of William McCarty, of Merced County. By her there are five children: Elizabeth, a graduate of Armstrong's School in Berkeley, and now employed in a law office in Merced; Moneta and Clinton, who are students in the high school; Dorothy, a pupil in the grammar school; and Kenneth, who died aged four years.
Politically Mr. Turner is a Democrat of the liberal-minded class. He is an extensive stock-raiser, and having been raised in the saddle, he knows all the details of that business. He has bought and sold thousands of head of cattle. Mr. Turner is a stockholder in the First Bank of Livingston. He is a liberal contributor to all movements for the upbuilding of the county, and believes in and supports church organizations and schools, well knowing that the children of today will be the active men and women of tomorrow. In all his dealings with the people, he has been a strict observer of the golden rule, which has been his guide throughout his life.
File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by:
Joy Fisher February 6, 2006, 11:39 pm