ROY VAN DEN HEUVEL
One of the many highly respected citizens of Merced County is Roy van den Heuvel, a resident of Merced and proprietor of the Merced Monumental Works and a cement contractor. He is a native son of California, born at Santa Rosa, on July 22, 1875, a son of William and Eliza (Iles) van den Heuvel. About 1872 William van den Heuvel came from his native country of Holland to the United States and directly to California and located in Lake County; he passed away in 1888, while the mother of our subject is still living.
Roy van den Heuvel received a public school education and when the family located in Merced, he learned the butcher trade with Banks & Bedesen, working for them five years. At the outbreak of the Spanish-American War he volunteered for service and was made first lieutenant of Company H, 6th Infantry of the 1st Battalion; after serving eight months he returned to Merced. He began clerking in a grocery store but after three months secured the position of janitor of the high school, which he occupied for eight years, the last two years acting in the capacity of assistant manual training instructor. He resigned this position and served as deputy sheriff of the county for four years, at the end of which time he engaged in the cement construction business and in 1918 established the Merced Monumental Works; he does all kinds of flat concrete work, including sidewalks, curbs, foundations, gutters, copings and vaults.
The marriage of Mr. van den Heuvel united him with Miss Mary Gstrein and of this union two sons have been born, Cyril A. and Raymond W. Mr. van den Heuvel is a Democrat in his political views, and fraternally has been clerk of the Woodmen of the World camp for eighteen years; he is also a member of the B. P. O. Elks and the Odd Fellows lodges of Merced.
Roy Van Den Heuvel, page: 723
History of Merced County, California: with a biographical review of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present.
By John Outcalt, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, California (1925)