Merced Express, February 7, 1903

A Sudden Death.

Frank Reilly, a well known farmer of this county died suddenly Thursday evening last in a front Street saloon, from what is supposed to be an ounce of Carbolic acid.  Mr. Reilly went through the saloon about 11 o'clock at night, into the back yard. Soon after the barkeeper heard him scream as if in great pain. He went out and assisted Reilly into the saloon and placed him in a chair where he died within 15 minutes. The Coroner found in his overcoat pocket a small flask of whiskey and an empty vial which had contained carbolic acid. It is supposed that while in the back yard Mr. Reilly wanted to take a drink from his flask and by mistake drank the acid for the whiskey. The deceased is the last of the four Reilly brothers. His brother Dan died a few months ago. Mr. Reilly was a native of Ireland, 50 years of age, and leaves a wife and one child. He had been a farmer in Merced county for a number of years and was well and favorably known. He was generous to a fault and was respected and well liked by all who knew him. The funeral will take place from the Catholic Church, tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock.
 

Contributed by Thomas Hilk